Sunday, July 6, 2008

Welcome to the World, Madeleine Grace.

Ever since I learned that Lindsay Bowyer, a friend of mine from high school, was gonna be a mommy, I have been so excited to meet her baby girl and photograph the two of them together. Lindsay is one of the most photogenic people I've ever met (below are 3 portraits I shot of her in December, 2005), so I knew her baby would adore the camera as well.




Lindsay chose to do an all-natural childbirth, and we discussed this at length (basically she answered dozesns and dozens of my questions). I think this process really empowered her, especially entering the tough world of single motherhood, to learn and experience all of the things a woman's body is capable of doing.

Anyway, meet Madeleine Grace Bowyer.


Here Lindsay is telling one of her favorite stories about Madeleine. "Right after she was born, they handed her to me and I said 'Hey baby girl!' and she threw her head back and looked up at me, just like this. She knew her mommy's voice."


When I first met Madeleine I was totally smitten, and I squealed something like "Awww, look at her little toes!" and Lindsay responded "I know, I can't wait to paint them."

She makes funny faces like her momma.

I can't imagine facing the challenge of single motherhood myself, but this baby girl is being brought into a world where she is so loved. Lindsay says everyone (her mother, her aunts, and even the baby's father) runs around all the time, doting on her and making sure she has everything she needs. It takes a village, they say, and she's lucky enough to raise Madeleine close to her grandparents (Lindsay's living at home for the time being) and in a supportive church community as well.

No comments: