Wednesday, July 9, 2008

First Video on Jacksonville.com!



I just got home from my first full shift at the Times-Union. I was there for about 9 hours, learning file naming conventions, the peculiarities of their BrightCove account, and editing this video of the grand opening of a Winn-Dixie downtown using FinalCut. I was pretty excited to work with it because it was shot by Bruce Lipsky, one of a handful of TU photogs whose name I recognized just from being impressed with his work that I'd seen on the site and in the print version of the paper for years (which my dad has delivered to the house every day! Print is not dead!)

Bruce probably wouldn't have minded if I'd told him I was a fan of his but I was nervous or felt weird or decided against it for no reason and instead I asked him boring questions about how long he'd been shooting, what camera he uses, what he had in mind for this video, where he likes to get chicken wings, etc. He definitely shoots video like a photographer. It's just a grocery store, but his shots are clean and colorful. He made this a visual story-- I can't remember the last time I heard someone complain about having way to much B-roll for the audio track. He had a couple of nice clips that I just couldn't fit in and he totally called me on it. ("You didn't use my chicken wings!") Oops. I mean, I heard they were not so good anyway. Anyway, I figure it's not bad for a quick turn-around piece, and I'm getting quicker and better at FinalCut all the time. Expect more video posts in the future.

No comments: