Saturday, July 5, 2008

Skaters at a Surf Competition

Last weekend I rode down with my dad to the National Kidney Foundation's Pro-Am Surf Competition at the St. Augustine Beach Pier. He'd been invited to judge the De La Mer Bikini Contest, and who is he to turn down the opportunity to do something for a good cause like the Kidney Foundation, right? I decided to stay out of his way during the judging.

There were some people surfing but by then the contest was over for the day, the waves were pretty small and it looked kind of foggy, so I decided to focus on these skaters on the half-pipe they'd set up a day or two before the competition for contests and demonstrations.





The guy you see in these first four is Tim Johnson, age 30, from my former hometown of St. Marys, Georgia! He was nice and a good skater even though he took a few falls, as you can see. I didn't realize he was actually a top pro skater until afterwards. Ahh, the wonders of the internet, where you can not only see a list of contests he's placed in up to 2007, but also watch a disgusting YouTube video of him getting his arm drained of abscess after a skating accident...

This shot ended up like a kind of cool optical illusion...

I also adored these kids, watching the skaters with us, who looked a little too young to have mohawks, but who am I to judge?


No comments: