Monday, April 7, 2008

Portrait of a colorful and interesting person photographed in their environment using flash photography





The title was the name of the assignment for my portfolio class that inspired this portrait shoot about a week ago. I decided to keep it simple and photograph my roommate, Vanessa Gruber. I asked her what she was up to that night, and she said "Not much, I might take a shower later..." and I said "Perfect!"

These are staged. I took them in our tiny bathroom. She only put her hair in curlers and lipstick on and sat in the tub and brushed her teeth because I asked her to. I used an off-camera flash cord and bounced my flash off the ceiling, which created soft, even lighting effect is because the room is so small with so many white surfaces, so basically flash was bouncing off of all of the walls and the shower curtain too.

1 comment:

Phoebe Sexton said...

I love the idea and set-up in these photos. Some suggestions, though:

Crop in on the first one - I like the all white with a splash of vanessa color, but I think there's too much curtain and I'm not drawn as quickly to her face as I could be.

The second one - did you take one where her face in the mirror is in focus? What do you think of kicking up your aperture, so the foreground isn't complete fuzz, but focusing on the mirror's image? Perhaps going up on tiptoe so she creates a frame for her reflection?

The last one rocks, plain and simple. And whether it was intentional or not, using the door to be the background of her face so it stands out more - brilliant.

Very cool shots, SBG. Welcome to the Blogosphere.