Monday, October 11, 2010

Kumkapi, Fatih, Istanbul (1)

I've been feeling nostalgic for Istanbul lately, and especially the neighborhood where I was based during my time there. Kumkapi is a neighborhood in Istanbul's Fatih district that borders the Marmara. It's relatively conservative, populated with lots of Armenians and Kurds. There are also many international refugees since the Foreigner's Detention Center is located there.

What stood out to me the most after a month in Istanbul is that, no matter what time it is or where in the city you are, there is always something happening (and someone trying to sell you something). I walked past a barber shop after midnight on a Wednesday night once, and saw a customer getting a haircut. Nobody I was with found this strange.

I spent a while trying to capture the busy energy of the neighborhood, the texture and the beauty. Here are 3 I liked. More to come...