Saturday, August 1, 2009

What it felt like

Last week I photographed Clelian Camp, a day of fun put on voluntarily by the PA State Troopers for kids at Clelian Heights, a facility for children and adults with developmental disabilities. Read Libby Cunningham's heartwarming article on the event for more details.

As I was editing my take with Guy Wathen, a Trib photographer whose work and ethic I've come to greatly admire, we came across this image. He was touched by it, and I told him I loved it too. I wasn't sure if I should send it because I was scared it left out too much-- the troopers had stations set up to show the kids fingerprinting, let them explore inside state police vehicles, and try on camouflage costumes. This just showed a student with his PCA, and not even the drug dog he was supposed to be learning about. Guy said I should keep it. Sure, it might have left out what the workshops looked like, he said, but it shows what Clelian Camp felt like for the kids.

I believe he is right. Two months into my internship, and I am learning every day.



Jerrett Burkland, 7, a student at The Clelian School from Hopwood, Pa., laughs with his Personal Care Assistant, Sarah Butler, from Greensburg, Pa., during a presentation by the central K-9 unit at his school in Greensburg, Pa, on July 29, 2009. PA State Police led children with developmental disabilities in fun and educational programming at Camp Clelian.
(Sarah Beth Glicksteen/Tribune-Review)

No comments: