Saturday, May 24, 2008

Senior Portrait shoot

I've been pretty immobile lately, and I just got knee surgery (ACL reconstruction) so it looks like I'll be off my feet for most of the next couple of weeks.

I did manage to shoot some senior portraits on Thursday for my friend's brother, Matthew Goldstein, who is graduating from Stanton College Preparatory School. These were shot in my home in Jacksonville, Florida. With the exception of this first one, his parents chose different "favorites" than I did, and I just finished sending them a package of their edits in exchange for a plateful of delicious brownies. Among other things, they want to put the picture on a cake, which is kind of exciting-- I've never had a photo published in edible form before.



I'm not sure exactly what I like about this photo, something about it struck me, it almost reminds me of those magazine photos of fashion models, so I played with the colors a little bit to give it that saturated look.


In this last one I wanted to play with environmental portraiture, even though I was shooting them at my own house. I asked Matt what he liked doing and he talked a lot about computer games and graphic design. I had him sit in front of his laptop, which he'd brought. I connected my flash with the off-camera flash cord and had him sit with it on his lap, under the computer, to make it look like his face was being lit from the screen. I like the idea and the effect (I think one of my colleagues did this in a class last semester), but I wish I'd played a bit more with different angles, to see if I could compress the space between his face and the "Dell" logo. Next time.

No comments: