Sunday, May 23, 2010

Someone Else's Story

My good friend (and former professor, mentor, thesis advisor, and by this point it's simplest to simply say good friend) Joe Lippincott has been following the ospreys who live in an Audubon nest near his home in Moswetuset Hummock for years now. He's utterly fascinated by them and his passion piqued my curiosity. I decided to spend my last day off in the northeast perched on a milk crate next to Joe watching these guys. He even lent me an extra 1000 mm lens. We were hoping the male would come back to the nest with a fish or something interesting, but he kept returning empty-taloned. I liked this shot, though-- his ladyfriend looks like she was hoping for better luck, too.


Here's another couple shot (different species). I told Joe and his wife Karen to do something funny, and this is what I got.

4 comments:

Phil S. said...

Awesome! I miss 'ol Joe! How is he these days?

Sarah Beth Glicksteen said...

He's good! Still teaching, encouraging and chasing birds. Drop him a line if you get a chance.

Also, how are YOU these days? Back in Tampa?

Phil S. said...

I definitely will send him an email ASAP.

Things are going well these days, even if I'm not a working photographer. I've been back in Tampa since September trying to piece my life back together and just recently joined the Army ROTC at USF. I pretty much realized that newspapers weren't really for me and I started looking for another path. I'm still waiting for a response, but the hope is to go for my second bachelors in Intl Relations and get my commission in 2012.

What have you been up to?

Sarah Beth Glicksteen said...

I've been doing pretty well, and working hard. I had a few back-to-back internships since graduating in '09. I'm currently in Bulgaria, en route to Istanbul for Foundry, then plotting my next move... Keep in touch, man. -SB