Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"We really lost a guru."

The photo blog has lost its biggest fan, my family and the outpatient cancer floor at Good Samaritan hospital have lost a friend and a wealth of dirty jokes, and the National Watch and Clock Collectors have lost a mentor and an expert on Illinois railroad watches. Read condolences from his watch buddies in this lovely thread . I'm not biased. My grandpa was actually the best.


Bernie Levine, in Cincinnati's Krohn Conservatory. August 2007.



"Bernie leaves his family with a very good name." - John Cote



Bernie Levine in his home in Cincinnati, Ohio. January 2008.




Watch workshop desk in his home, Cincinnati, Ohio; March 2009. Just three weeks ago, Bernie put together a watch for a friend.

Endless support and affection from wife Millie. Hospice of Cincinnati, March 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I know you have lost a loving grandfather. I have known Bernie since 1945 or maybe before in Huntington, when he was into printing. Gloria and I were newly weds in Huntington along with Bernie and Sonja. Bernis's mother, Ethel, and my mother were friends for so many years. Ethel was known far and wide for her schneken, which she baked. Later, we lived a year in Cincinnati and saw him frequently there. We have home movies taken in the summer of 1960 showing Ava and Vivian running round in diapers in our back yard. How he did enjoy showing me his collection of Illinois watches! In fact, he started me collecting clocks, which we enjoyed for many years.
I'll miss Bernie.
Donald Kraft

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I'm sorry you've lost such a great grandfather. He was a pretty cool Great Uncle too! I love the images of Uncle Bernard you have posted. I haven't seen him in many years, but I'm glad I got to catch up with him this past summer. He was pleased to hear that I'm carrying on in the shadow of "Levine Bros. Printing" as I'm now a graphic artist. Take care of yourself. Rachel