Friday, December 12, 2008

Minnesota Obama Volunteer

Vince King didn't see a black person until he turned 12. Now a lawyer in St. Paul, Minnesota, he volunteered as a "foot soldier" for the Obama campaign in the weeks leading up to the election. In an interview, he talked about Obama's unique ability to help him connect with black people and others in his community who he wouldn't have met otherwise:



Photos, audio by Sarah Beth Glicksteen. Edited with help from Alfredo Sosa.

I've been holding onto this one for a while, finally got a chance to share. The dinner table conversations I had with the father of my friend I stayed with during my Twin Cities trip were so interesting, I wanted to interview him 'on the record'. I shot this one afternoon, thinking there might be space for it in the Monitor's election day video. It didn't quite fit, but makes a nice short portrait on its own. Enjoy!

No comments: